Is Chocolate Gluten Free?

12 Comments 26 January 2011

Chocolate is naturally gluten free. That’s the short answer. The complication is that “pure unsweetened chocolate doesn’t taste very good” so other ingredients are almost always added. Some of these added ingredients are gluten toxic, others are safe for us, and all of them are designed to improve the finished product.

Most children love chocolate candy and here is a post that lists many of America’s leading candy manufacturers. The great thing about this article is that it indicates both the safe AND the unsafe candies made by these candy makers AND includes phone numbers to call when we have questions.

Chocolates make great gifts for adults when they are packaged appropriately. Here are links to two firms that sell gift chocolates on-line: Premium Chocolatiers and Chocolat (dot com).

Click here to check out 96 recipes involving chocolate.

1. Linda Blankenheim says:

I read somewhere that Ghiaidelli Chocolate Chips that are 60%Cacao (Bittersweet) are gluten free. Even though it doesn’t use the wording, under the ingredients it says:”Made on the same equipment that also makes products containing milk. Made in a facility that uses peanuts and tree nuts.”

2. pam says:

You need to watch out for “malted” chocolate too.

3. Sabine says:

Toll House labels their chocolate chips as gluten free

4. Taylor Eskew says:

From the Lindt web Site FAQ:
    Is there gluten or barley malt in Lindt chocolate?
    Gluten can be found in many of the premium chocolate products Lindt produces. Our white and extra dark (70% cocoa and above) chocolate products by nature do not contain barley malt. We have an allergen control program in place and adhere to strict Good Manufacturing Practices in order to reduce the risk of cross contamination. Lindt is aware of the growing prevalence of Celiac’s Disease and other conditions. It is always important to review the ingredient declaration to make sure our products are compliant with your specific diet requirements and restrictions.

5. Hello!

I just started a new business that makes 100% organic and gluten free chocolate treats. If you visit my website I will send you a free sample and you can taste delicious treats for yourself!!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Sean

6. apaler1 says:

I recommend that everyone look at individual company’s websites because you just can’t be certain if the chocolate has been made on the same machinery that is used to make products containing gluten. Fortunately, most company’s are making it easier to tell if their chocolate contains gluten.

7. apaler1 says:

I haven’t really found any bars that contain only chocolate other than those dark chocolate bars I find in Whole Foods that you use for baking and such. However, I do know that Sulpice Chocolat’s bars are all gluten-free even though they contain natural flavorings like cayenne, chai, and mint to name a few. Their dark chocolates are also vegan.

8. lisa daly says:

Cadburys make a lot of their chocolate bars gluten free now (Roses for one). If you go to their website it lists which products are gluten free.

9. Barbara says:

I am co-owner of a ‘gluten-free’ chocolate store in Lake Oswego, OR. Our chocolates are free of preservatives with natural ingredients.
    We also have a complete line of baking chocolates, including chocolate chips and couveture bars which are gluten free. Our chocolates contain no paraffin and will actually ‘melt in your mouth!’ Please contact us,if you have any questions via our website.

Barbara

10. marjean says:

I have a gluten free recipe I found on the internet w/no flour at all.
    1c. skippy peanut butter
    1 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 egg white
    1/2 c. chocolate chips
    bake 350 for 15 min. they will harden when they cool off.

11. Susan says:

Guittard chocolate (with a few exceptions they list) are gluten free. The problem is finding a retail source for their baking chocolates that does not repackage (as does King Arthur Flour) Guittard’S product on packing lines that are dedicated to GF products. I have written to KA about the issue – others need to email tem to request that they rrpackage using GF lines. I can buy Guittard chocolate chips that are marked GF at my local Whole Foods.
    Susan on CT

12. Ren says:

Guittard Oro (67%) baking chocolate (ribbons) is only available in 25lb boxes. Any smaller quantity will always be a repackage. Spun Sugar in Berkeley, CA sells it, but not on their website, you have to call them. I believe you can order it straight from Guittard also, but you’ll have to call them as well. They could also tell you if anyone sells it in your area, to help keep shipping costs down. Hope this helps.