Are Sprouted Grains Gluten Free?

9 Comments 27 August 2010

A friend is trying to convince me that sprouted grains are gluten-free. I am thinking “not so”, if the grains include wheat, oats, rye or barley.” I was recently asked this question in an e-mail from a member of our gluten free community.

Since I could find no trustworthy answer to this question, I invite you to e-mail your thoughts to me at gfceliac@gmail.com. I’ll publish your ideas. In the meantime, I suggest an attitude of “when in doubt, leave it out”.

Published 8/26/10

1. Mimi Kaopuiki says:

Food for Life, well-known maker of Ezekiel 4:9 bakery products using sprouted grains does not list any of their sprouted grain breads as gluten free on their website. That would indicate to me that it is not safe for the celiac. My nutritionist told me not to eat sprouted wheat products. However, I do have gluten ALLERGIC friends who are able to handle sprouted wheat bread.

2. Here’s the thing:
    Several months ago I saw of some Gluten Free Shakes (or some other drink like that).. on one was listed Wheat Grass. After emailing them, I was informed that the sprouted wheat was Gluten Free. (I did not personally test this out however. More at a later date when I find that email again.)

Now, before having the Troubles Officially, sprouted breads were my favorite! (The body knows :D) Since then I have researched what it would take to make a sprouted grain bread, but haven’t done it yet. (Am remodelling heavily and working almost full time for an art organization, so time is very limited) personally, I’m thinking it very much may be. I’m almost, ~almost, where I’d go buy a loaf and test it (I know within 1.5 hrs)

So, honestly, I think this may actually be a very good question, and needful of true investigation. Don’t let the matter die just yet!

Meran

3. Kathie says:

I’ve been very leery of trying any of the sprouted breads because the pain in my knees (where the gluten hits me) will last for days.

I also remember when I visited a friend in Germany who lived amongst wheat fields. I felt like I was coming down with a cold the whole time I was there. I was foggy, and sniffling and sneezing. All of these symtoms disappeared when I left the area. In hind sight I decided it was an allergic reaction to the wheat pollen. So is it the gluten or the wheat itself that sets me off?

4. Barry says:

Technically sprouted grains are gluten free as the gluten is transformed into a different protein when it sprouts. Unofrtunately all the commercial products actually add gluten to the product so that it will stick better. If the grains are properly sprouted with no unprouted seeds and no glouten added, it is gluten free.

5. Amy says:

I just went to the store yesterday and read the ingredient labels. Most sprouted grain breads, do have added gluten, based on the label, Ezekiel bread does not. Here’s more from their website…

“Are Food for Life sprouted breads “gluten free?”

Any product that contains wheat (including semolina, durum, spelt, triticale, and kamut) rye, barley, or oats cannot be considered Gluten-Free. What is important is the sprouting process, through enzymatic activity, changes gluten to a more digestible or tolerable state. Many individuals with mild gluten sensitivities use sprouted products with no adverse side affects or allergic reactions. However each person’s individual constitution is different. We advise any person with gluten sensitivities including and in particular individuals with serious health conditions such as Celiac Disease to consult their physician before consuming any product that may contain gluten.”

6. Anna says:

I have tried sprouted bread and did have a mild reaction. My head tells me that gluten in the sprouted grain should be easier to digest. However, my body told me otherwise.

7. Jackie says:

I’ve had several people lately insisting to me that sprouted wheat and Ezekiel bread are gluten-free, and that the sprouting process does away with the gluten totally! But all I’ve been reading today tells me not to eat it, or to at least be suspicious! I’ve found some really good gluten-free breads locally, though, so I’m not hurtin’ except for glazed raised donuts and cinnamon rolls.

8. Jason says:

I’ve been growing and juicing wheat grass for a couple years. It’s widely recognized the juice is gluten-free.
    For a month I’ve tried just sprouting the wheat grass seeds for 3 days and then eating them.
    I’ve been having a slight reaction with this. Maybe it’s all in my head, but still, I’m going back to only making the juice.

9. Stephanie OBrien says:

I’ve been researching this and what I’ve found is: Wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice all contain gluten. Wheatgrass does NOT contain gluten, BUT cross-contamination is very possible if any of the grains are left in with the grass, so proceed with caution. As for sprouted grains, they convert SOME of the gluten to the growing process, but not all, so they still contain gluten. The biggest issue with packaged products is cross-contamination. If you choose to experiment, do your own sprouting and juicing and make sure you don’t get any grains in your juice.

Seeds on the other hand are fabulous! Alfalfa, broccoli, lentils, plus many many more are wonderful contain NO gluten and can add spice and variety to your diet. I’ve tried them all and NO reactions! Just seriously, watch your sources and be aware of cross contamination!