New Jersey Gluten Free

24 Comments 18 July 2008

New Jersey is a great place to live gluten free. For starters, here are links to independently owned gluten free restaurants in the state of New Jersey. Several of these restaurants partner with Still Riding Pizza, a company that provides gluten free pizza crusts to qualified restaurants. When reading these links, keep in mind that only the pizza crusts are gluten free. Check to make sure that you are receiving appropriate toppings.

Bridgewater. The Chimney Rock Inn mentions gluten free spaghetti on its menu. I e-mailed them on 11/18/09 to confirm the report that gluten free beer is also available.

Cape May. Simply Fondue. This establishment was recommended enthusiastically by a member of America’s gluten free community. Since gluten free information is not mentioned on the website, I e-mailed the restaurant on 9/12/09 requesting verification.

Cedar Grove. Giuseppe’s Pizza and Restaurant, 557 Pompton Avenue, cedar Grove. Partners with Still Riding Pizza to provide celiac friendly pizza.

Clark. Aliperti’s Restaurant. Click the restaurant name to get the location or click here to read the gluten free menu.

East Rutherford. Park and Orchard. Click the restaurant name to get the location. To read the gluten free menu, click here and then click on the words “celiac menu” in the left column.

Englishtown. Carlo’s Gourmet Pizza. The gluten free  menu is offered only at the Marlboro location. Click the restaurant name to get the location.. Carlo’s partners with Still Riding Pizza to provide celiac friendly pizza.

Gillette. The Chimney Rock Inn serves gluten free meals in Gillette as well as in Bridgeport. Check out the Bridgeport listing for details.

Glen Rock. Mangia Trattoria. This establishment partners with Still Riding Pizza to offer gluten free pizza. Click on the restaurant name for more information.

Hackettstown. Mama’s Café Baci. Click the restaurant name to get the location or click here to read the gluten free menu.

Hohokus. Janice a Bistro. The home page states that “gluten free options are available” but there is no specific information. Click on the restaurant name for more information.

Livingston. Calabria Pizzeria and Restaurant, 588 South Livingstone Avenue. The website was being updated when I checked it on 7/17/08. Hopefully, you will soon be able to find it by clicking on the restaurant name. This restaurant partners with Still Riding Pizza to prepare and serve celiac friendly pizza.

Park Ridge. Park Pizza, 85 Park Avenue. This restaurant partners with Still Riding Pizza to prepare and serve celiac friendly pizza.

Ridgewood. A Mano Pizza. Serves gluten free pizza on Sundays only. Their site does not specifically mention gluten free pizza. This information is from press release from the restaurant’s management.

Rochelle Park. Miller’s Gluten Free Bread. A dedicated gluten free bakery. UPDATE: Miller’s plans to begin selling gluten free ice cream sandwiches after Labor Day

Summit. Joe’s Pizzeria and Vittorio. Click on the restaurant name to get the location and /or click here for the gluten free menu. This restaurant partners with Still Riding Pizza to prepare and serve celiac friendly pizza.

Vorhees. Pasta Pomodoro. Gluten free information will be found on the last two pages of the menu. Click on the restaurant name for the location.

Wayne. Neil’s Pizzeria, 568 Valley Road. This restaurant partners with Still Riding Pizza to prepare and serve celiac friendly pizza.

The Celiac Sprue Association has several local chapters in New Jersey.

Gluten free shopping are available at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Stop and Shop Markets, and Wegman’s. .

Most of America’s celiac friendly restaurant chains are represented in New Jersey. Click here if you are interested in 99 Restaurants, Bonefish Grill. Boston Market, Carino’s Italian Grill, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Chrlie Brown’s, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Chili’s Grill and Bar, Fresh City, Legal Seafoods, Lone Star Steakhouse, On the Border Mexican Grill, Outback Steakhouse, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, PeiWei Asian Diner, Pizza Fusion, Romano’s Macaroni Grill, and Uno Chicago Grill.

Information added 04/08/09

460w x 60h (3) Gluten-Free Mall for Gluten-Free Foods

1. I also wanted to let you know that Miller’s Gluten Free Bread Co. is opening September ’08 in Rochelle Park, NJ. We have fresh breads, pizza, pierogies and more!
    Check it out!
    162 Rochelle Ave
    Rochelle Park, NJ

2. Michele says:

I recently dined at Carlo’s gourmet pizza in Marlboro, NJ and had a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and knowledgable. Although they are not strictly gluten free, they have special procedures in place that prevent cross contamination. Sal, one of the owners, actually gave me a tour of the kitchen and showed me the designated area where they prepare the gluten free pizza and the color coded pots, pans, cutting boards and utensils. I enjoyed the delicious pizza and chicken parmigiana with rice pasta, but most importantly, I enjoyed the fact that the staff goes out of their way to make their celiac customers feel comfortable.

Michele (Freehold)

3. Nicole says:

I had to leave a comment about Millers Gluten Free Bakery in Rochelle Park. I stopped by there today to check it out. I did not realize I had to pre-order so when I got there my choices were pretty limited but what I was able to get was FANTASTIC! I purchased a bag of the garlic knot- 6 in a bag. Three of them were gone before I got out of the parking lot. They are just like the evil gluten full knots- if not better. They were chewy on the inside with a nice crunch on the outside and did not have that funky after taste that alot of gluten free products have. I also bought a container of croutons-had to dive into those too- quite tasty. Can not wait to have a big salad with actual croutons again. I am very eager to pick up my order on Friday. If the sandwich bread is anything like the garlic knots I am in for a treat! This place is worth the trip!

4. Dave Hewitt says:

Hailey”s Harp & Pub is due to open on Saturday, September 25 in Metuchen, NJ. Hailey’s will be offering a gluten free menu as well as gluten free beer. General Manager and good friend Victor Delusso is excited about helping out the Celiac Community afer seeing the adjustments i have had to make in my life over the last 4 years. Hailey’s promises to be a great place to dine with an emphesis on family atmosphere. They will have a large childrens menu and all regular menu items will be priced between $9 & $14 dollars. You can check out Hailey’s on their website and even drop them a message by going to the comments tab on their main page.

Please help show your support for what they are doing to help people like us have more choices when dining out.

Hailey’s Website:

Recent news article on Hailey’s:

5. I’ve been thinking for a while about doing a special dinner with some celiac guests (and joining them) to talk and eat and discuss the ways we can improve GF dining in South Jersey. It’s a learning experience for me and if you are interested in joining me, please email me at info@tortillapresscantina.com. I’m tentatively thinking about scheduling it for 1/19. Dinners on me – and I’m all ears when it comes to feedback and comments.
    Chef Mark
    The Tortilla Press &
    Tortilla Press Cantina

6. Charles Luce says:

Just want to let you know that I offer workshops for home bakers wanting to learn the techniques for excellent GF sourdough breads. Readers may learn more by visiting my site, http://www.glutenfreesourdough.com. I’m located in Weehawken but willing to travel. Workshops scheduled for NJ in 2010 include Saturday June 5 and Saturday October 15.

7. Nancy Brighnt says:

Hi, wanted to take a moment and comment on Mama’s CafeBaci of Hackettstown. We stopped in and we were pleasantly surprised to find an Italian restaurant offering a full and i mean full gluten free menu with fantastic selections , from pizza, pasta, and more. I had the eggplant rollentini and fried calamari,outstanding. Thanks again for the recommendation .Best regards,Nancy & Glenn.

8. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease after suffering with digestive problems for years. Since then, I have spent countless hours on the internet trying to find places where I can eat and not have to worry. I stumbled upon a restaurant called Carlo’s Gourmet Pizza. They are located in Marlboro/Englishtown NJ on Union Hill Road and Rt 9 North. They truly were the answer to my prayers. They have a pretty extensive gluten free menu with many options for someone like me. What I liked most was how knowledgeable they were when I presented countless questions about the preparation of their dishes. They did not sit there and yes me to death. They took the time to thoroughly answer all of my questions and they made me feel very comfortable. Their gluten free fried calamari was out of this world. I still can’t believe that its gluten free. For my main course I had the eggplant rollentine which was increddible. If anyone is looking for a restaurant that offers a gluten free menu, and that goes the extra mile to make you comfortable and provide a pleasurable dining experience, Carlo’s Gourmet Pizza is definately the undiscovered secret that you have been searching for. Their phone number is 732-536-6070 and their website is http://www.carlosgourmetpizza.com Give them a shot, you will be so happy you did. They also have a full line of gluten free desserts and cookies for purchase. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so this was music to my ears.

9. Glenn Reiser says:

Great tasting gluten free desserts. Try Rookies Gluten free for brownies, cupcakes, muffins and more.

10. tina fallon says:

Fallon’s Gluten Free Bakeshop.
    339 Crows Mill Road
    Fords. N,J 08863
    732 710-3338
    Fallon’s Bake Shop is 100% gluten free and peanut-free

All freshly baked deliciously gluten free white bread -italian and multi-grain breads ,cupcake muffins’pies pizza , raviolis And many more delicious desserts! It the place for fresh bake breads right out of the oven.
    Be sure to stop in for italian bread for that sub sandw
    ich

11. Darlene Galik says:

I found a new G-Free pizza resaurant in Brick, NJ. It’s called Belzano
    and it’s on Route 70. They just opened this week and they have a separate G-Free menu with pizza and pasta, all G-Free. NOTE: I have confirmed that Balzano’s two New Jersey locations have posted gluten free menus on-line. I will add these listings to my “Gluten Free Pizza Restaurants” power page. Yhanks for the contribution. Paul, the gluten free guy

12. Thank you for listing these fine establishments on your site. We recently had the pleasure to try MamasCafeBaci in Hackettstown Nj, it was fantastic!! If you have the chance try this restaurant , they have a very extensive Gluten Free menu . We all agreed it is the best Gluten Free restaurant in the area. They sell their home made sauces so you can take some home with you. give Mama’s a try , you will love them…Thank you Mama’s…we can go out again!!!!

13. Esther Surden says:

We had a great gluten free meal at Bangkok Kitchen on Bloomfield Ave. in Caldwell. They publish their Gluten free menu on the web. Take it with you and order from it. To support our daughter who has celiac, we all ordered from the gluten-free menu. This was the first time my daughter had had Pad Cee Eew since she was diagnosed, and she was in 7th heaven. Thank you Bangkok Kitchen. http://www.bangkokkitchencaldwell.com/Menu/

14. Jason says:

Knob Hill Golf Club in Manalapan has just introduced a gluten free menu,

Knob Hill is not completely gluten free but they do go out of their way to ensure that there is no cross contamination. The staff is extremely knowledgeable and so is the manager, his wife has Celiac’s which is one of the main reasons Knob Hill wanted to introduce their Gluten Free Menu

732-792-7722
    The Sycamore Grille @ Knob Hill Golf Club

15. Pat Kenny says:

Great Harvest Bread Co in Cherry Hill bakes gluten free breads, quickbreads, cookies and muffins. They also now carry the Mr. Ritts line of GF mixes. Their chocolate chip coffee cake is amazing.

16. Wanted to let you know about a gluten free bakery that opened in Stirling, NJ. Terrific baked goods and other gluten free products are carried. The people who run it are extremely nice and helpful too.

17. Jason says:

Mama’s in Hackettstown and Janice’s in Hohokus are two of the best GF restaurants in NJ. Another that is missing from the list above is La Riviera Trattoria in Clifton (http://www.larivieratrattoria.com). They’ve got GF pasta and GF breadcrumbs which means you can have real Chicken/Veal/Eggplant Parmagiana (or they’ll make it Milanese if you are dairy free). Oh, and when you are there make sure you get on their mailing list as a couple of times a year they open on a Monday night for a Gluten Free Dinner. Everyone in the restaurant is GF that night and so is all the food!

I’m on a mission to eat at every restaurant in NJ offering gluten free (and dairy free) options. I’ve got quite the list going but have only made it to a handful so far: http://glutenfreedairyfreenj.blogspot.com/p/gluten-free-dairy-free-restaurants-nj.html

18. Karen Halm says:

Anyone traveling to Long Beach Island this summer will be happy to know there is a new gluten free bakery opening soon! Gluten Free Goodies Galore will offer fresh baked breads and desserts daily. Cake will be sold by the slice as well as whole. The bakery is located in the Manahawkin Mart building which contains many other shops- including a cheese shop which carries sheep and goats milk cheeses as well. There is a farmer’s market on Friday’s during the summer and a flea market on the weekends in the parking lot.
    Gluten Free Goodies Galore
    in the Manahawkin Mart
    657 East Bay Ave.
    Manahawkin, NJ 08050
    609-661-9286

19. Louise Stahl says:

Rigewood has a French bakery with wonderful macarons, flourless chocolate cookies, and sorbet. Our family just visited Paris, loved the macarons, and were thrilled to find them in NJ. They have soups, salads, coffee, tea, small tables – it’s just like Paris. They even have live music on some nights. The owner is trained at the French culinary institute and everything is made from scratch.

20. I just recently ate at the Pandan Room in Hackettstown and the Rutherford Pancacke House in Rutherford. Both have lots of GF options. Pandan Room’s menu is probably 80% gluten free overall. Rutherford Pancake House has GF pancakes/waffles, quesadillas, pizzas and french fries! NOTE: neither establishment posts gluten free information on their website,

21. Jen Bird says:

We love going to Mama’s Cafe Baci in Hackettstown NJ. Always the best Gluten Free selections . I love their Fried Calamari and Penne Vodka. We dine on the Cafe with music playing ..oh what a beautiful life again ,to be able to go to a great restaurant and have so many options . Thank you Mama’s !!!

22. We are a local NJ wholesale bakery making hands-down the best tasting Gluten Free baked goods. From muffins to cupcakes to cookies and more people are raving about our fluffy and flavorful treats. Look for our bright red gluten free flower in your grocery store or ask for Butterfly Gluten Free.
    Join us on Facebook to learn where you can buy Butterfly Bakery near you or let us know where you would like to see our goodies.
    TheButterflyBakery.com/Facebook.

23. Amanda says:

A new bakery in Red Bank opened and they are dedicated gluten free. Posh Pop Bakeshop inside of Ricki’s and their French macarons are amazing! BUT Their cannoli and red velvet cupcakes are even BETTER! http://www.facebook.com/PoshPopBakeshop

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gluten Free Information…First Hand Facts | Gluten Free: The Celiac Site - April 8, 2009

[...] a link to a gluten free bakery in New Jersey. [...]