Panera Bread…a Great Place to Eat Gluten Free

9 Comments 16 June 2008

Don’t let the word “bread” in the title intimidate you, Panera Bread is a great  place to eat gluten free even though they do NOT serve gluten free bread.. To find a location near you, enter your zip code on their home page. The food is great, I love the casual-but-classy atmosphere, and most of their soups and salads are OK for us if we avoid the croutons and wonton strips, of course. Here is a list of gluten free foods available:

from Sam, Customer Comment Coordinator on 12/26/07:

"I have included below a list of our gluten-free menu items. Not all of these items are currently on our menu and some new menu items have not yet been evaluated for the purposes of this list. However, you can find complete ingredients listings for all current menu items on our website. Click on Menu and Nutrition, choose the Bakery or Cafe menu, select a product category from the links at the top of the page, then click on the individual menu item to display a page with that item’s ingredients and nutritional content.

GLUTEN FREE LIST – Panera Bread **

**Although we do our very best to meet your special requirements, we cannot rule out the possibility of cross contact between these items and gluten-containing foods in our bakery-cafe.

Salads:    (including the salad dressing) (source of modified food starch is corn)
Greek Salad
Fandango Salad
Caesar Salad (without croutons)
Asian Sesame Chicken Salad (without Won Ton noodles)
Classic Cafe’ Salad

Low-Fat Vegetarian Southwest Tomato & Roasted Corn

Salad Dressings:
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Caesar"

Published 06/16/08

1. Wendy Holcombe says:

I’ve eaten at Panera with mixed results. I’ve always talked with the staff and read all of the ingredients to insure I wasn’t eating gluten.
    I finally realized when I ate at a Panera where they didn’t bake in the store I didn’t get store, but if I ate in one of the stores where they did their baking I got very sick.

2. robin says:

Please advise others to be very careful at Panera Bread. The preparation area is surrounded by bread and crumbs and it is very difficult to ensure that there is no cross contamination. Also, Panera Bread’s Fandango salad has gorgonzola cheese and it is a no-no for celiacs as the mold is started on bread.

Thanks for all the other sites/suggestions.
    Robin

3. Gluten Free Guy says:

Yes indeed. It is always a judgment call when we are in a restaurant that is not entirely gluten free. I have never heard that comment about gorgonzola cheese. I know that bleu cheese is taboo for us. Thanks for sharing.
    Paul Colligan AKA The Gluten Free Guy

4. Kiwisoup says:

Gorgonzola IS a bleu cheese. The term bleu cheese is a general term for several specific types of cheese.

5. Coleen says:

Their Caesar dressing DOES have wheat in it… It is noted directly in the allergen binder the manager showed me. Buona is has a gluten-free chicken caesar (less the croutons and bread) and they do an EXCELLENT job watching for cross-contamination.

6. I wish more people would write sites like this that are actually interesting to read. With all the crap floating around on the internet, it is rare to read a site like yours instead.

7. Kathy says:

Be very careful. I ordered a Fuji Apple Salad and it came as a Classic Salad with a separate package of dried Fuji Apples. At the bottom of the apple package was a crouton which I bit into before realizing what it was (same color). I spit it out immediately but am sick today from ingesting some of it. this tells me that they are not serious about offering a truly gluten free experience for their customers.

8. Paul Rooney says:

Why doesn’t Panera bread have gluten free breads?

9. Paul Rooney says:

I watched a utube video of the CEO of Panera talk about having gluten free breads..went into the Panera store in Tarpon Springs. fl…the Manager said they don’t do gluten free because it costs too much……what the ____?