Gluten Free Soy and Teriyaki Sauce: an Update

10 Comments 08 December 2007

Premier Japan – Teriyaki Sauce

Kari-Out – GF Soy Sauce

San-J – Tamari Organic Soy Sauce

Gluten free soy and teriyaki sauce are available from The Gluten Free Pantry. Click on the appropriate box to begin shopping. Note that the center box enables you to buy single serving packets. The Great Value brand of Soy Sauce (sold at WalMart) is actually labeled "gluten free".

I have been amazed at the celiac community’s interest in gluten free soy sauce. For many months my soy sauce article was the most visited item on this site. I am glad to report that more resources are now available.

Click here to visit my "Chinese New Year" article. It contains more information on this subject.

1. peconomos says:

now I can have my spicy tuna rolls with brown rice and soy sauce!!!

2. Stef says:

Wal*Mart’s GV soy sauce isn’t completly gluten-free. It has caramel coloring, which is made from barley. Just a warning to those who have severe allergies to gluten.

3. Stef says:

Alright, I looked into it and Wal*Mart’s GV soy sauce could be gluten-free after all. Alot of companies that make gluten-free products use corn for their caramel coloring instead of barley. My bad.

4. Kate says:

Hannaford’s Supermarket carries San-J soy sauce. Not sure if they have the gluten-free on the shelf (I haven’t checked yet) but anyone can order it online by the case. Just search Hannaford and San-J in Google.

5. Bruce says:

I don’t understand how WalMart’s GV Soy Sauce can be gluten free? It has “wheat” listed as its 2nd ingredient, just like Kikkomen Soy Sauce, so what makes it gluten free? Thanks for any help someone can give me. Just found out I have Celiac, although ZERO symptoms!

6. Thomas says:

The Codex Alimentarius standard for gluten free foods specifies that most celiacs can tolerate below 200ppm of gluten. Some foods are prepared in such a way that the gluten protein in the wheat can no longer be recognized by the immune system; (I believe that the protein becomes denatured during the manufacturing process?). Often manufacturers will list food as gluten free if it cannot be detected by their equipment, even though some may still be present. You’d be surprised what you are able to tolerate – if I suspect that I may be able to tolerate a product I usually just give them a ring and ask what data they have on their gluten content. I rang Kikkoman who said that the gluten was altered in the manufacturing process and therefore it is highly unlikely I would experience any symptoms. Being a highly symptomatic celiac, I put this to the test, as if I even if something has been fried with a gluten-containing food or a pan is reused I will be up all night and ill for around 24 hours. True to their word, I was absolutely fine.

7. Kelly says:

@Bruce- Walmart’s Great Value Brand used to be GF, but that all changed sometime in 2009/2010. :(

8. Cindy says:

I have tried Wal Mart’s GV Soy Sauce and it taste different because of the wheat. I have used La Choys and it taste good. But when I can I get Bragg’s Liguid Amino Sauce which I have only been able to get at Health Food Stores. It’s Ingredients is:
    Vegetable Protein from Soybeans and Purified Water.

On their website it has:
    Ingredients: Our Bragg Liquid Aminos are made from health-giving, NON-GMO soybeans and purified water. They are an excellent, healthy, gourmet replacement for Tamari and Soy Sauce. Not fermented or heated and Gluten-Free.

It also says on their website:
    Bragg’s has a small amount of naturally occurring sodium. No table salt is added. If less sodium is desired use a 6 oz. Bragg’s spray bottle and dilute with 1/3 distilled water or to taste and then either add in or spray on food

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gluten Free Chinese New Year | Gluten Free: The Celiac Site - January 5, 2008

[...] made from wheat, but gluten free versions are available. Check out my article on “gluten free soy and teriyaki sauce”. Here is a widget that will allow you purchase celiac friendly sauces on-line from The [...]

2. Gluten Free Restaurants in New York City | Gluten Free: The Celiac Site - January 19, 2008

[...] if that means that they supply celiac friendly soy sauce; it couldn’t hurt to carry a few single-serving packets in your pocket or purse wherever you [...]