Gluten Free at Romano’s Macaroni Grill

11 Comments 23 April 2007

My thanks to Romano’s Macaroni Grill. Not only do they have a list of gluten free options, but they update that list each and every month and have similar lists for all the major allergies. With an attitude like that, I can hardly wait to taste the food! This link will enable you to find the restaurant nearest you. Click here to read their current list of gluten free options.   You’ll have to scroll through a lot series of special menus to get the infomation about gluten free foods. In a way, I like that. It’s good to know that these people are totally committed to assisting people with food sensitivities.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, things have really gone down hill since I wrote this article in 2007. I am including this apology (rather than simply deleting the article) for the benefit of people who may have been given a link to this article.

1. megan says:

I, too, appreciate that they provide a list…but only because I now know there are no entrees without gluten and will therefore not bother to go. Why have a gluten free menu that basically says “congratulations, you can have a soda and a salad”? THANKS FOR THE COMMENT. MEGAN. I CHECKED IT OUT AND THINGS HAVE REALLY GONE DOWNHILL SINCE I LAST WROTE ABOUT THIS RESTAURANT. I WILL NO LONGER BE LISTING IT AS GLUTEN FREE. Paul, a.k.a. The Gluten Free Guy

2. jeannie says:

Are you kidding me????????? The post a gluten free list that has pasta dishes on it, but you need to order it w/o pasta! hahahahahaha

3. Karen B. says:

I would call this a GF UNfriendly restaurant. Why is gluten in their vegetables and goat cheese?!

4. Lauren says:

Karen B., I was just wondering that too. “The grilled vegetables have gluten? AND the risotto?!”
    (Apparenlty, you can’t get the rice at Tin Star either.)
    I’m guessing the vegtable marinade has soy sauce.

5. lena says:

Boy has it gone downhill! They used to have a delicious gluten free balsamic chicken. Their gluten free menu is now a joke. We completely stopped eating there. NOTE: I agree. I’ve left my review on-line primarily to warn people that I have change my mind about what I thought was an excellent “safe” restaurant. Paul, the gluten free guy.

6. Cheryl says:

Maggiano however has an excellent gluten free menu, you can pretty much order almost anything from the menu with a red sauce and they’ll substitute with gluten-free pastas. They also serve gluten free rolls & dessert (chocolate torte)

7. Dawn says:

I definitely appreciate the information. I was looking online to see if Macaroni Grill had GF options (would have assumed being as big as they are they would have a great GF menu) and found this post. I’m very surprised at the responses here. Definitely WILL NOT be eating there. May try Maggiano though, thanks for the tip, Cheryl. And, thanks for keeping this page up so people know the history. It was very helpful.

8. Liz says:

I was excited to see that Macaroni Grill now has rice penne pasta, so I ordered it. It came out with a spaghetti noodle in it, so there was clear cross contamination. The manager apologized and my substitute meal was covered. I went to their Facebook page to complain and noticed another gluten-free patron very sick from the rice pasta due to it being cooked in the same water and wheat pasta…and this was at a different location.
    It seems that MG really doesn’t take the gluten-free diet seriously.

9. Carol says:

The gluten free menu posted by Macaroni Grill is not accurate. I recently visited and ordered from their GF menu. The parmesan crusted sole is clearly identified as gluten free when ordered without the orzo side dish. Luckily, the manager caught the fact that the dish is breaded in panko bread crumbs so I was not exposed to gluten. However, I contacted MG to let them know of the error and to date it remains on their menu, Eat at this restaurant at your own risk.

10. Crit Killen says:

Wait, I just ate there. Its January 31, 2012. I have the left overs in my car and I can’t wait to finish them. To get a full meal you have to do the “build it yourself” pasta menu. The waitress brought me a separate form and I chose the options I wanted. She took that sheet to the cook and he prepared it separately. They have only one gluten free pasta, its penne, but I added gluten free alfredo, gluten free italian sausage, and asparagus. It was fantastic. So I’m not pushing Macaroni Grill necessarily I’m just saying it was great to go to a business meeting and eat like a normal person. Of course I am waiting to see if it was all truly gluten free. I should know some time tonight since thats when it seems to really hit me after I’ve mistakenly eaten something containing gluten. As for now I am happy that they had the options they did and the taste was great!

11. Jamie says:

It was my daughters birthday and we choose macaroni grill because of the gf menu. I was very excited to eat out like a normal person. After given the menu with my options included no veggies, I settled for 6 dry shrimp on the side with gf penne and two tbs of bland tomato sauce. I will credit them with telling me it was going to be a while because they had to boil water just for me. They cooked my whole tables food and let it sit while they waited for my water to boil. Everyone’s food was cold. My husbands steak came and it was cold, the they slapped two grilled eggplant cold and half a non cleaned tomatoe on his plate along with a MOLDY piece of bread! Beside the gluten issues I have they were serving up some food born illness. As a courtesy they took the steak off and let us pick TWO desserts for the whole table. Very generous . I wondered later if it’s just too much for them to handle cooking for people with allergies so they made it so we wouldn’t be back? Oh, and I did get glutened :(