Gluten Free Ice Cream … Part 2

12 Comments 20 April 2007

Ice cream is naturally gluten free and is — in my opinion — absolutely essential to good living. But, as so often happens, hidden glutens creep in and try to spoil our fun. If you have not already done so, you may wish to read the first part of this article which deals with ice cream that we purchase for home use.

This article talks about the ice cream that we enjoy at Baskin and Robins or similar establishments — the kind of places that my generation refers to as ‘ice cream parlors’. In the first part of the article, we talked about the ice cream itself. Today we need to think about cross-contamination issues. You’re probably in an establishment that displays large tubs of ice cream — some are ‘safe’ and some contain gluten. The same scoops are used in all the containers, thus contaminating the containers that were originally safe and spoiling¬† the ice cream that is being served to you. The only totally-safe solution is to request a newly-washed scoop (and I don’t mean simply rinsed-off) and a newly-opened tub of ice cream. Is it worth the effort???

Before you give up, be sure to read the comments at the bottom of the article. Some customers — as well as some ice cream parlors — have come up with solutions to this problem!

This is one segment of a three-part article on gluten free ice cream. The link to the beginning of the article (which talks about ice cream purchased for home use) is given in the first paragraph. The final segment will talk about homemade ice cream. No link yet. This is still ‘under construction’.

1. Lisa Craig says:

I just wanted to add a comment about Coldstone Creamery. Our local shop was mor than happy to handle the question of cross contamination. When I asked they retrieved a fozen pan from the feezer and mixed my daughters creation on that. Although the could not guarantee that it was gluten free, it cut down tremindiously on the croass contamination since only her’s had been prepared on that pan. Hope this helps out!

2. Gluten Free Guy says:

What a marvelous idea!!!! I will e-mail the company and ask them if they do that in all their stores and if not/why not. I usually get pretty good results when I announce that I will publishing their answer on the internet. I hope many of you ice cream lovers will also send e-mails. Paul a.k.a The Gluten Free Guy

3. Alia says:

I just wanted to add something about Baskin and Robbins. I am always worried about cross contamination and have had people tell me to request a clean scooper, but they use the same scoops in all the ice creams all day and they ust put them back into a bucket of water to clean them off. So it seems inevitable to me that there could be residue from gluten containing ice cream in the gf ice creams. I will only buy prepacked quarts now unless they have a fresh tub of something out that hasn’t been scooped. Then I request a clean scoop.

4. Trish says:

Thanks for the great tips on avoiding cross contamination! It would be a shame to have to give up ice cream, so speaking up certainly sounds like an easier alternative:)

5. Caroline says:

Just so you all know, it seems HoneyBerry Ice Cream is gluten-free. I don’t have celiac’s instead I have gluten-intolerance, but so far from their eating soft-serve and other things (obviously any baked goods is out of the question, drinks probably depend on what you get), I haven’t noticed any problems. The first time I went there, I asked if their ice-cream/yoguart/etc is gluten-free and they said it is.

Very good ice cream by the way. ^_^

6. Chares says:

I own some Ben & Jerry’s stores and our staff is trained to go in the back room and get a scoop that has not been used to serve other flavors that day and was washed and sanitized the previous night. Some of our stores will even set aside a “golden scoop” that is used only for these special occasions. We are also very happy to open a new box of ice cream from the freezer if the customer has cross contamination concerns.

7. Mark says:

I’m trying to find out if Jerseymaid’s Tin Roof Sundae ice cream is gluten-free. If anyone knows the answer, I’d appreciate knowing.

8. Clara Raney says:

I was told at my Support Group meeting that Breyer’s ice cream, vanilla, the one without artifical flavors or natural flavors is gluten free. I have eaten it with no problems. Be sure and read label as some of their vanilla does have artificial flavors and natural flavors.

9. Alex says:

I have not tried it yet,but on chapmans website, they state that many of their products are gluten free, and also have a gluten free symbol on their containers.

10. Ivy says:

My Baskin Robbins is very accomidating, and will get out a brand new tub of ice cream just for me!
    Cold Stone makes all ice creams in the same mixer…

11. Loriann says:

My young son has celiacs and enjoys his ice-cream. Chapmans ice-cream is his favorite and it never bothers him. And, on another note, it’s nut-free as well! ^_^

12. Jeff says:

I read somewhere that Blue Bell was gluten free. I ate some Neopolitan without reading the label. Mistake!!

After I started having symptoms, I grabed the container and there it was, right on the label….flour….bummer

P.S. The Blue Bell website is horrible and not celiac friendly as it doesn’t mention gluten at all.